Montag bis Freitag: 08.00 bis 12.00 Uhr
Mittwoch: 16:00 bis 19:00 Uhr
... hier geht's zum Info-Flyer
Wettervorhersage für Schuttertal
The Schutter river - landscape-shaping waters
100 years ago the Schutter spring was exploited.
The Schutter river has its source at the Hündersedel above Schweighausen in an altitude of 680 metres. Enriches by several smal streams from the source ground area the young Schutter flows in western direction through the Loh valley. In the mountain village Schweighausen it ist united with the Geisberg brook; like a mountain brook it falls down ober blocks to the "Schutterwinkel". Then it flows quickly in northern direction. Afer 25 kilometres near Lahr the Schutter river reaches the Rhine plain an finally after another 30 kilometres near Kehl it reaches the Kinzig river.
On its way trough the Black Forest and the Rhine plain the river gives its name to the villages of Schuttertal, Schuttern, Schutterzell and Schutterwald.
The linguists do not agree on the etymological meaning of the name "Schutter". Probably the word "Schutter" is based on the early Germanic word "scutro", which should mean something like "quickly, rapidly flowing waters". "Scutro", including the Indo-Germanic root "sceud" also allows the interpretation in the sense of "embanking", "damming up the waters" and points out to the Schutter of the plain with its numerous dikes and mills. The Schutter river flows through 19 towns and villages until it flows into the Kinzig river. For centuries the river was an important energy supplier for the industry near the river. According to the Badenese water power land register of 1925 the Schutter operated at that time not less than 36 water power plants with in total 47 water wheels, 12 generator power plants with 17 turbines, including house mills, customers' mills, hammersmiths, electricity works oil mills, barley rammers and sawmills.
For the people living along the Schutter the mostly peacefully flowing river often was a big danger, because several times the Schutter overflowed, flooded precious arable land and destroyed streets, bridges and houses. Not only in the Schuttertal but also in Lahr and in the Rhine plain people were always afraid of the Schutter floods. Up to now the population remembers the hard flood years of 1958, 1970, 1978, 1980 and 1987. Besides the numerous reports on the flood damages in the minutes of the local parish council, the flood cross in Schweighausen reminds of the flood disaster in 1895. At that time, on June 06, 1895 the floods of the Schutter teared away the farmer Landolin Bauer with his horse cart. The cross which was erected at the place of the accident, above the Stefisbauernhof in der Steig, in memoriam of the victim, visualizes the accident with an inscription and a picture.
In order to protect the communities near the Schutter permanently against the flood, finally from 1936 until 1938 the national fatigue duty built the Schutter bypass channel between Lahr-Dinglingen and Nonnenweier. The next hundred year flood of the Schutter will show how the flood control reservoir which was recently built in Lahr-Kuhbach (built from 1983 until 1985) and in Seelbach-Wittelbach (built from 1989-1991) will protect the people in the Schuttertal and in Lahr against the flood.